Chocolate cake can make you forget everything else
My theory is that chocolate cake is the best cake of all. Mainly because chocolate is the most amazing thing to ever have existed. Thanks Aztecs for this amazing gift to mankind. But if you have never tried baking a cake before, or just want to eat cake, or any reason for that matter (honestly who cares what the reason is a long as there is cake), I’d recommend this super easy chocolate cake recipe. This is my go to recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or maida
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla/chocolate essence
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
It a one bowl recipe. So not a lot of mess in the kitchen.
Preparing the mixture:
* Grease the tray properly by oiling the inside of the baking dish, even the inner side walls. Dust the oiled pan with some flour/cocoa powder and dust off the excess flour from the tray. If the pan isn’t greased properly, the cake will not come out well, or it will not rise from sides, and will be uneven.
* Start preheating the oven to 175 degrees celsius.
* Sieve the dry ingredients (baking powder, baking soda,flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt) in the bowl. I prefer to sieve the ingredients together over mixing by hand. Firstly, you are supposed to mix dry ingredients lightly, and secondly, it removes the lumps in the flour/cocoa powder.
* Add egg and essence to the mixture. Essence is important because it kills the egg smell and adds a lovely aroma.
* Add egg and oil to the mixture and mix the ingredients.
* Add boiling water to it slowly. Keep the mixing till the mixture is consistent
* The mixture will have a much thinner flowy consistency now.
* A general tip is to taste the batter to get a sense of the flavour.
After preparing the mixture:
>> Put the mixture in your tray. You have to give room for it to rise. Do not fill up more than half of the height of the dish.
>> Put it in the oven for 35 minutes on the middle rack and make sure your oven is heated up uniformly. I prefer to keep checking it after 30 minutes passed to make sure it’s not getting burnt. But it takes its own sweet time
>> After the cake is done, insert a toothpick in the centre. If comes out clean, your cake is ready. if not lower the temperature to 150 and put on the lower rack for 5 more minutes. You can let it sit in the oven for some time, if it does not look completely done to you. The heat will help the cake to reach completion.
>>What follows next is the toughest of all, because you have to wait till the cake cools down. Don’t shove it in the fridge to make it cool faster. Make sure the pan is cool before you take it out, or the cake will break into pieces.
Once that long wait is over, you will get your reward.!