Anxiety & Depression : How to deal with it !!
Sonia was feeling lonely again, she was not able to understand why she was feeling so low since few days. She has everything, a good husband, a child , nice job , beautiful friends but yet there was a vacuum in her life she was not able to fill. Whenever she tried to talk about it either with her husband or friends ,they brushed her off by saying that it happens sometime or she is overthinking.
Soon ,she started to detach herself from outside world ,she lost interest in her office work or household work.
One day when her husband came back to home after work , he found Sonia lying unconsciously with empty bottle of sleeping pills in her hand. He rushed to hospital, where doctor saved her after so much effort . Her doctor called her husband ,in morning and let him know that Sonia was suffering from depression and she tried to do end her life. Her husband was shocked and ashamed that he brushed off her concern earlier .
“Silence is the most powerful scream.”
It is story of so many people all around the world.
Anxiety and Depression are two most dangerous and most ignored problem of modern lifestyle .
In a research it is found that out of 10 person atleast 5 is dealing with either Anxiety or Depression.
“Anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it.”
It’s high time we came out in open and talk about Anxiety and Depression. Not talking about it is not going to make it disappear. We have to realize it.
“Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increase the burden. It is easier to say, “My tooth is aching” than to say “My heart is broken”.”
Only having one of them is dangerous enough and it break people apart internally but if anyone have both then situation is real dangerous .
“Having anxiety and depression is like being scared and tired at the same time. It’s the fear of failure, but no urge to be productive. It’s wanting friends, but hate socializing. It’s wanting to be alone, but not wanting to be lonely. It’s feeling everything at once then feeling paralyzingly numb.”
The main problem is people deny having either if them most of the time. They suffer inwardly but keep smiling for people around them.
They feel acute loneliness among crowd , a sense of aloofness overcome them every now and then but they still ignore it .
“They need one of those long hugs where you kinda forget whatever else is happening around you for a minute.”
But most of the time they don’t know with whom they can talk ,with whom they can share because they fear people will judge them . People will make fun of them if not on their face then behind their back . Because all said and done it’s not normally acceptable in society. Most of the time people brush off others concern with ,” You are thinking too much”. Or , even worse ,” you have everything why even you will have depression “.
They need assurance that :
No matter how bad things are right now. No matter how stuck you feel. No matter how many days you’ve spent crying and wishing things were different. No matter how hopeless and depressed you feel. I promise you that you won’t feel this way forever. Keep going.”
Only then they will come out in open and talk about their fear and anxiety.
People think depression is sadness. People think depression is crying. People think depression is dressing in black. But people are wrong. Depression is the constant feeling of being numb. Being numb to emotions, being numb to life. You wake up in the morning just to go back to bed again.”
So here is few tips to deal with it ;
1. Never depend on anti depression pills or sleeping pills.
2. Try to meditate as much as possible.
3. Keep yourself busy in activities, do not sit and sulk.
4. Whenever you feel low try to divert your thoughts to positive way.
5. Count your blessings instead of shortcomings.
6. Spend some time with yourself, no matter however busy you are at least keep half hour a day for yourself.
7. Cultivate your hobbies , spend sometime in doing what your heart want, either sitting idle ,reading ,listening music. You will feel good
8. Always try to be in touch with people who bring positivity in your life, whether they are family ,friends ,neighbors co worker anyone.
9. Stay away from people who bring negativity whoever they are,if you can’t cut ties with them try to maintain distance. Turn a deaf ear to them.
10. Don’t let anyone make you feel incompetent or small. Always remember You are best for yourself.
11. Try to not overthink about situations or incident.
Most importantly ” Life is like a mirror. Smile at it and it smiles back at you.”