Matches between India and Pakistan in cricket World Cup history have always been highly anticipated and intense affairs, given the historic and political rivalry between the two nations. As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, here are some significant matches between India and Pakistan in ICC Cricket World Cup history:
India and Pakistan have faced each other 7 times in the ICC Men’s ODI World Cup and all the games have been won by India. The most vital game was the 2011 World Cup semi-final in which India emerged the winners by 29 runs. *Last Match Result: India won by 89 runs in the 2019 World Cup.
Both India and Pakistan have had their periods of success and have produced some legendary cricketers. Here are some points to consider:
- Head-to-Head Record: In head-to-head matches, India has often had the upper hand against Pakistan in various formats of the game, including Test matches, One-Day Internationals (ODIs), and Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is). However, it’s important to note that individual match outcomes can be influenced by numerous factors and don’t necessarily determine which team is overall better.
- Recent Performance: Cricket is a dynamic sport, and team performance can vary over time. A team that was dominant in one era may not be the best in another. Both India and Pakistan have had phases of success and periods of rebuilding in recent years.
- Tournament Wins: Both teams have won major cricket tournaments. India has won multiple ICC Cricket World Cups and ICC T20 World Cups, while Pakistan has also won the ICC Cricket World Cup and ICC T20 World Cup.
- Individual Talent: Both India and Pakistan have produced world-class cricketers who have achieved individual milestones and records. Players like Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, Wasim Akram, and Waqar Younis have been among the best in the world during their respective eras.
- Team Balance: The strength of a cricket team depends on the balance between batting, bowling, and fielding. This can vary from one era to another and one format to another.
- Home and Away Performance: Teams often perform differently at home and away. India’s dominance at home in recent years has been notable.
In World Cup Cricket History
- 1975 Cricket World Cup: India and Pakistan faced each other for the first time in a World Cup match during the group stage. India won the match by 43 runs.
- 1992 Cricket World Cup: Pakistan won the tournament, and one of the most memorable matches was their encounter with India in the group stage. Pakistan won the match by 43 runs.
- 1996 Cricket World Cup: India and Pakistan met in the quarterfinals. India won this high-pressure encounter by 39 runs.
- 1999 Cricket World Cup: India and Pakistan played a memorable match in the Super Six stage, which ended in a thrilling tie.
- 2003 Cricket World Cup: India won both the matches they played against Pakistan in this tournament. They won a group stage match and then defeated Pakistan again in the highly anticipated encounter during the Super Six stage.
- 2011 Cricket World Cup: India went on to win the tournament, and they faced Pakistan in the semifinals. India won this match convincingly and advanced to the final.
- 2015 Cricket World Cup: India and Pakistan faced each other in the group stage, and India continued their unbeaten record against Pakistan in World Cups, winning the match.
- 2019 Cricket World Cup: In a group stage match, India once again defeated Pakistan.
- 2023 India and Pakistan in Ahmedabad on October 14 is one of the most anticipated matches of the World Cup 2023.
Please note that there may have been additional matches between India and Pakistan in subsequent World Cup tournaments after my last knowledge update in September 2021. The outcomes of these matches might have changed, and I recommend checking the latest sources for updated information on their encounters in Cricket World Cups.