Shrimp and prawn are important types of seafood that are consumed worldwide. Although shrimp and prawns belong to different suborders of Decapoda, they are very similar in appearance and the terms are often used interchangeably in commercial farming and wild fisheries.
A distinction is drawn in recent aquaculture literature, which increasingly uses the term “prawn” only for the freshwater forms of palaemonids and “shrimp” for the marine penaeids.Shrimp and prawn are important types of seafood that are consumed worldwide.
Top 10 Prawn Recipes
Although shrimp and prawns belong to different suborders of Decapoda, they are very similar in appearance and the terms are often used interchangeably in commercial farming and wild fisheries. A distinction is drawn in recent aquaculture literature, which increasingly uses the term “prawn” only for the freshwater forms of palaemonids and “shrimp” for the marine penaeids.
The Difference: Biological, Not Culinary
Despite their similarities, biologically speaking, they are different animals.Things labelled prawns are often larger but aren’t necessarily true prawns. And plenty of shrimp isn’t shrimpy in size at all. The part really confusing is some “prawns”—such as spot prawns—are a biological shrimp, and some “shrimps”—notably ridgeback shrimp—are technically prawns.
So What Is the Difference?
Shrimps have branching gills, a side plate that overlays segments in front and behind, and carry their eggs outside of their bodies beneath their tails.Prawns have lamellar gills, side plates that overlap tile-like from front to back, and carry their eggs inside their bodies near their tails.Now, if you are one of the prawn lovers, then given below is a list of top 10 prawn recipes:
1. Butter garlic prawns- Get the blend of butter and garlic with a hint of sweetness with recipe.
2. Kerala fried prawns- A delicacy from Kerala with juicy prawns’ fried crisp in coconut oil, spluttering mustard seeds, crackling curry leaves, turmeric, fiery chillies and a drop of lemon.
3. Spicy prawns with sweet dipping- Tiger prawns tossed with onions, chilli and white wine, and then plated beautifully and served with a sweet orange marmalade sauce.
4. Spicy sriracha prawns with basil- Here’s something extraordinary for all of you who can’t get enough spicy food. Prawns cooked in a handful of ingredients – green chilli, sriracha chilli sauce, fish sauce, soft basil leaves and crunchy onions.
5. Prawn pulao- Rice cooked with beautifully marinated ginger, garlic prawns and smeared with a masala of cardamom, cinnamon, clove, chilli and a handful of more mind-blowing ingredients.
6. Prawn curry- A bowl of plain white rice could not taste better than how they tastes with prawn curry. A plain recipe which takes 5-6 garlic cloves, onions, coconut, coriander seeds to get a fine paste.
7. Malai prawn curry- A creamy curry delicately flavoured with coconut, milk, cinnamon, ginger and yoghurt.
8. Prawn balcho- A spicy Goanmasaledar curry cooked with a sensational sour paste, onions and some cashew-based Goanfeni.
9. Prawn pollichatu- Kerala styled prawns cooked in lime juice, chilli, turmeric, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeks, ginger, chopped garlic and coconut oil.
10. Koliwada prawns- Fresh, deshelled prawns dipped in batter flavoured with cayenne pepper, ginger, garlic, carom seeds, lime juice and fried golden-brown.
Now you have a list of prawn recipes that you have to try out. If you wish to go with something simple then you should start with prawn curry or if you like something fancy then I think the butter garlic prawns recipe should be your start. Enjoy your meal!
Latest posts by Reena Rawat (see all)
- Feel Beautiful with Stunning Pure Silver Rings and Earrings - April 13, 2019
- GST Benefits and its Effects on Different Sectors - April 13, 2019
- The various uses of Biopsy Forceps - April 13, 2019